Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Foodie Memory

 

I'm a sentimental foodie and I enjoy riffing on traditional family meals, particularly ones that require the use of vintage cookery like the crock pot above. My mother was a creative cook however she never, to my knowledge, used a recipe--it was all from memory. For me, keeping recipes is a hobby and I have this thing about formally recording family history. I think my mother nurtured my foodie sensibility when I was young. The first meal I remember was for my second birthday and my mom decided to throw a party. However, I don't remember any other kids--it was more of a cocktail party for her friends and it just happened to be my birthday! She made gourmet style hot dogs in her avocado green Rival crock pot and they were a big hit--its was haute cuisine to her guests as she choose to simmer the dogs in a fancy sauce as opposed to cooking them on the grill. What's your first foodie memory?

Crock Pot Tiny Hot Dogs

-1/2 cup ketchup
-3 tbsp brown sugar
-1 tbsp vinegar
-1 tsp dry mustard
-1 medium chopped onion

Mix ingredients in crock pot, add mini hot dogs and serve from pot on toothpicks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
EatonWeb Blog Directory